Papaya also known a pawpaw grows in tropical climate, and its sweetness and vibrant colour have made it a popular fruit in different regions. It is a soft fruit that benefits human health in diverse ways.
- It is native to Mexico
- Papaya grows naturally in the Caribbean and Florida.
- It can be added to salads, smoothies and other dishes.
- According to the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United FAO, India produces the most papayas, over 5 million tons in 2013.
Here are some health benefits of papaya.
- It prevents cholesterol build up. This is because it is rich in fibre, vitamin C and antioxidants which prevent cholesterol build up in the arteries. Also, too much cholesterol can lead to several heart diseases including hypertension and heart attack.
- It helps in weight loss. Papayas are low in calories. The fibre content in papaya leaves you feeling full and also clears your bowel movement.
- Papaya boosts your immunity. The immune system stands as a shield against various infections. Papaya contains more than 200% of the daily requirement of Vitamin C which has made it great for immunity.
- Vitamin A helps to protect your vision from degenerating. Therefore, papaya is great for the eyes.
- They are good for diabetics. This is an excellent food option for diabetics as it has a low sugar content even though it is sweet to taste.
- Papaya eases menstrual pain. If you experience menstrual pain, you should take more papaya. There is an enzyme called papain, and it helps to regulate easy flow during menstrual periods.
- It prevents cancers. Pawpaw is a rich source of antioxidants, phytonutrients and flavonoids that prevent your cells from undergoing free radical damage.
Among other benefits, it helps to reduce stress. After a work day, you should cultivate the habit of taking pawpaw. Also, it helps you to regulate the flow of stress hormones.
Read Also: Reasons You Must Eat Banana